Monday, February 8, 2010

Blog Ground Rules

I have finally reached a point in my life where I think I really know where I stand on enough issues and beliefs that I can write intelligently about most subject matter I've thought about. There are still areas that I am working through or have not considered, and new issues and new information always arise. So I reserve the right to change my mind. I will try to be honest with you and myself as I state my positions and perspectives, and reason my way through them.

I will try to have as few rules as possible regarding my blog, but the right to change a position will be the first rule. The second rule is I will not tolerate hate mongering. Posts are for intelligent discussion of positions, beliefs, ideas, and entertainment. If you absolutely reject the content of a post or a response, then simply state that without personal attacks. Hash it out, but don't kill each other.  We don't have to like one another, but we should respect respect one another.


I once worked with guy from England, he had a PhD in physics.  Brilliantly smart (some times too smart), highly informed ideas and opinions.  Given enough time, this guy could out research and model anybody in the department.  When he thought you were completely off your rocker he'd simply say in a sincere British accent, "I fundamentally disagree with you."  It's about the nicest, most professional way I've ever heard somebody say, "I think you're an idiot."



What I hope happens is all sides can be respectively considered and heard, to argue and intelligently debate in the hopes of bringing understanding and maybe enlightenment to the subject at hand. Don't tread me or contributors. And, it's OK to agree to disagree.

One qualifier I'll make to the above stated is beliefs are just beliefs. They are not fact or law, and should not be treated as such. That should be kept in mind by all contributors. You may feel strongly about something, but that does not mean everybody else does and it doesn't have to impact their lives as it impacts your's. Now, start and win a revolution over your beliefs and you've got something.

Other rules may follow... but hopefully not. Oh, lets not forget, there are exceptions to every rule. Lets just try to keep the discussion free, open, and on a higher level than most college freshmen.

No comments:

Post a Comment